Home  |    Request Information  |  Featured Programs  |  Search by Program  |  Search by Location  |  Featured Viewbooks  |  Library of Articles

Social Security Numbers
for International Students

F-1 students may apply for an original Social Security Number (SSN) at a Social Security Administration (SSA) field office by submitting an Application for a Social Security Card (Form SS-5, available for download here), to the SSA, and providing documentary evidence of:

  • age
  • identity
  • work-authorized lawful alien status

Documentation requirements for F-1 students

F-1 students are subject to special documentation requirements as well as special immigration status verification rules. An F-1 applicant must submit the following as part of his or her application for a SSN:

  • A completed Form SS-5, Application for a Social Security Card
  • At least two documents that establish the applicant's age and identity including a passport and one additional document establishing identity
  • Form I-94 (arrival/departure card)
  • SEVIS Form I-20
  • Proof of employment authorization. SSA will issue an SSN only to F-1 students who are authorized to be employed in the United States.
Request Information       Featured Programs       Search by Program        Search by Location       Featured Viewbooks       Home